It happens to me and I believe with others too that we forget to note down WiFi password in a dairy or sometimes we believe that we will remember the password but when we try to connect any other device (for example, smartphone or tablet) after a few days, we tend to forget the password and hence unable to connect to the internet.
If you have been stuck in such kind of situation, don’t worry. Here in this article, we will share the methods on how to find WiFi passwords on Windows 10, Windows 8 & 8.1, and Windows 7.
The procedure we are going to share is pretty easy and explained in great detail so that nobody finds it difficult to understand. Moreover, we have included the images to make the readers of our blog understand in a better way.
Whenever we connect our laptop with WiFi, we generally tick the checkbox that says “connect automatically”.
It saves the password for the future and our laptop gets connected automatically to WiFi every day we start our laptop.
If we haven’t noted down the password anywhere and it got erased from memory too, the best way is, find the WiFi password on Windows itself rather than resetting the modem or try other methods.
Finding a WiFi password on a Windows laptop is quite easy and the way we have written this guide makes it even easier.
We will explain methods to find Wifi passwords on windows for different versions of the Windows operating system separately. Take a look:
How to find WiFi password on Windows 10
- Right-click on the Windows Start button and then select “Network Connections”. You will see a list of networks you have accessed through this computer. We need to select the active network to find the Wifi password on Windows 10. The active Wi-Fi network will have 5 green tower icon on it while the other will have a red cross sign over it.
- Select the Wi-Fi network. Double click on it and it will show Wi-Fi Status. Click on “Wireless Properties”
- Select the “Security” Tab and go to “Network security key”. This is the Wi-Fi password but it’s hidden. Tick the checkbox that says “Show characters” and the password will be visible. That’s all! this is a straightforward way to find a Wifi password on windows 10 easily.
How to find WiFi password on Windows 8.1
- Go to Network Connections.
- Double click active network and select “Status“
- Click “Wireless Properties“
- By default, the “connection” tab is selected. Chose “Security”
- Tick the checkbox “show characters” and the Wifi password can be seen under the “Network security key” field
How to find WiFi password on Windows 8
- Go to Network and select currently in use Wifi connection.
- Double click it and chose “view connection properties”
- Tick the checkbox “show character” and you will be able to see the password.
How to find WiFi password on Windows 7
- Right-click on the WiFi icon on the bottom right side (adjacent to date & time)
- Select the WiFi connection
- Double click it and chose “Properties”
- Tick the checkbox “show character” to know the WiFi password.
The thumb rule here is to find the Network Connections and look for currently active Wi-Fi. Double click it and go to properties. It where you can find Wifi passwords from on Windows operating system.
Remember the password is always hidden because of security concerns, hence you will always have to choose a tick box that says “show character“. In case you aren’t able to find Network Connections, type the same in Windows search and you will find it.