How to Update Kodi on Fire TV Stick, Android, Windows, iOS
Whenever a newer version of any software or application which is installed on your Smartphone or the Computer/Laptop is available, you should consider updating it.
If we particularly talk about Kodi, the developers keep on updating this software after fixing bugs and adding new features.
Therefore if you come to know the latest version of Kodi is available and searching for a guide on how to update Kodi on various devices such as FireTV Stick, Android or Windows devices, this is the right place.
In today’s post, we will educate the readers of TenTaken.com to update Kodi in a few simple steps. No matter what device they are on, we will cover all the major ones.
For some devices, the apps are set for an auto-update. Hence, whenever a newer version of the application is available, it gets updated automatically.
However, for other devices, we need to update manually and it involves several steps. Before we go ahead to learn to update Kodi, let’s get to know a bit about this beautiful software.
What is Kodi
Kodi doesn’t need any introduction and those who like to stream videos must be well aware of Kodi application.
Those who, by chance haven’t heard about it, Kodi is an open-source software developed by XBMC foundations which is a nonprofit organization.
This open-source software is free to download for all major devices such as Windows, iOS, Android, Linux, Raspberry Pi, etc. unless you decide to donate voluntarily or purchase a premium add-on.
One thing which is very important to know that certain Kodi add-ons are illegal in some countries hence the user must need to check whether the country laws allow him/her to use those Kodi add-ons.
Kodi is all in one source of entertainment for those who love to watch videos/movies on a bigger screen and have been appreciated by the world’s top companies such as Alienware, NVIDIA, etc. This C/C++ application is so strong that it plays all media files you can think of.
How to update Kodi
Kodi has recently updated to the latest version after various bug fixes and the addition of new features. Moreover, its always good to update to the latest version because of security reasons as well.
The latest version is said to be much faster than the previous one and the creators have fixed a crashing problem on Windows, iOS, Android. So if you had been facing any of these problems, consider updating Kodi to the latest version.
We will be discussing how to update Kodi on different platforms separately so that it becomes easier for the readers.
How to update Kodi on Android:
If you are using Kodi on Android, there are great chances that your device is set to auto-install updated although it is not, necessarily. Here are the steps:
If Auto Update is disabled-
- Pick up your Android device you have Kodi installed on.
- Head over to Google Play Store.
- Go to My apps or search for Kodi.
- Since you have Kodi already installed on your Android device, you will see the “Update” button instead of installation.
- Click Install to update Kodi and that’s how to update Kodi on Android.
If Auto Update is enabled-
The job is already done if your device is set up to update apps automatically. However, even if the device is set for Auto Update and you haven’t allowed to auto-update apps on Mobile data, your app wouldn’t be updated until you are connected to Wi-Fi. In that case, you will have to update Kodi manually again.
Follow the same procedure we have discussed above and you will be able to update Kodi to the latest version.
How to update Kodi on Windows and macOS:
The process of updating Kodi on Windows and macOS devices is incredibly easy. It is a few min tasks that would update Kodi to the latest version without affecting Add-on and Skin settings.
Here is how to update Kodi on Windows (these are the basic steps and macOS devices can be updated same way):
- Open the preferred browser on your Windows PC.
- If the Kodi app was installed Kodi on Windows device from Windows App Store, click the first option “WINDOWS STORE” > Go to Windows Store and update an app.
- If you want to do it manually, download the installer.
- Double click installer’s .exe file and the installation wizard will open.
- Follow on-screen instructions. Read the instructions carefully.
- At some stage during installation, you will be notified that the current files will be overwritten. That’s awesome ! Go ahead.
- Let the installation get completed. Check add-ons and settings you have saved once the installation is done. Everything should be the same as before except the Kodi version. Kodi must have updated to the latest version.
Follow the same procedure for MacOS. Download .dwg file, go through the installation process, overwrite the existing file, and done!
How to update Kodi on Fire TV Stick
There are lots of people who are search tutorials on How to update Kodi on Fire TV stick as updating Kodi on Fire TV stick is not as simple as other platforms we have discussed above. Though it is not something you wouldn’t be able to do yourself.
You just need to follow the procedure and you’ll be able to do it easily. Here are the steps:
- Go to Fire TV Stick Home.
- Then go to System > Settings and enable options “Apps from known sources” and “ADB Debugging“.
- Now go back to the home screen and search for “Downloader“. Search results will display Downloader.
- Install Downloader.
- Once Downloader is installed open it and enter: mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/kodi-17.4-Krypton-armeabi-v7a.apk and chose download.
- It will download the latest Kodi apk file.
- Once the .apk file is downloaded, the Downloader will open the file automatically. In case it doesn’t, select Open File.
- Select Install and installation of the latest version of Kodi will begin. Let the installation get completed and your Kodi will be updated to the latest version.
Note: Kodi is open-source software and legal to use but certain add-on of Kodi is illegal to use in some countries. Hence you need to check whether you comply with country laws and regulations. It is the responsibility of the user to comply with the guidelines (rules & regulations) laid down by the govt of the country.