I’m looking for a song I don’t know the name of
Are you looking to recognize a song that was playing on the radio while you were taking a ride in a taxi?
Do you want to know what song is this which your neighbor currently playing in his car?
Or are you looking to find this particular song you can’t recall the lyrics of but can hum it?
If you have been stuck in any such situation and really need to identify a song, this article could help you!
In this post, I’ll discuss various ways to identify a song if you know a portion of the song’s lyrics or by humming.
This tutorial will guide you to know what song is that you can not get off your mind.
Today everyone has a smartphone and we have apps to perform various tasks via the smartphone.
For example, if you are looking to get out but before that need to know how the weather would be throughout the day, you have an app for that.
If you are looking to find out the temperature outside, you can do it with an app as well.
Similarly, we can use different apps to recognize a song as well
Also see: How to Authorise a computer on iTunes
What song is this – Recognise a Song by Apps
So, since the smartphone has become an integral part of everyone’s life, we will be taking help from various music apps to find out what song is that you are currently listening to in a restaurant or have heard before.
You just need to know part of the lyrics, or you can identify the song by humming as well.
In some cases, you listen to the full song yet can’t identify it. It could be due to the fact that it is the latest song or not so old one but you have never heard it before.
Don’t worry, this article will surely help you identify a song you liked. Take a look:
What song is this – using Shazam app
If you are a music lover, you must have a Shazam app installed on your smartphone.
Shazam is a music app that let you listen to the latest songs and the old ones too.
You can search for songs or the artists you want to play songs with the search option.
This beautiful app allows you to listen to songs, but it can be used for other purposes as well.
The Shazam app can help you recognize a song that is currently being played.
Here is what you need to do.
- Open the Shazam app on your smartphone. Download and install it on your smartphone if you don’t have it already.
- Bring a smartphone closer to the music source.
- Tap on “Touch to Shazam”
- Shazam app will listen to the song, allowing it for some time.
- In a few mins, you will have the song recognized. Congratulations! you now know the song you were searching for.
The other similar app that you could use to identify a song is SoundHound. It is again a music app and has been downloaded by several million users across the world.
I am sure if you are a music lover, you must be knowing SoundHound.
There are great chances you have it installed already. If not get it now! Here is how to know- What song is this using SoundHound.
- Open SoundHound on your smartphone, and install it from the app store if you don’t have it.
- Take your smartphone closer to the music source.
- The app will listen to the song, allow it for some time.
- SoundHound will recognize the song and present you. You can click to play it!
What song is this – Recognise a song with “Google Ok”
If you are an Android smartphone user, you can take the help of “Google Ok” as well.
Google Ok is nothing but a voice recognition app that listens to you or the source of the music and displays results.
Hence if you have the song playing around you and you want to recognize it, start “Google Ok” on your smartphone and bring it closer to the music source.
It will listen and display results that might contain the song you were trying to find out.
Recognize a song with Google Ok Search
If you know part of the song, you can use Google Search to recognize the song. This is the most effective way of recognizing a song but here you need to know part of the lyrics.
If you know some lyrics, do the following:
- Open Google on your smartphone or laptop.
- Type lyrics that you remember.
- Hit the search button and the search result would probably have the song you were looking to find out.
Take help from people
Apps and search engines are the kind of software that works according to predefined criteria and they can not be as effective as human beings.
In this section, we will take help from people who have an interest in music and are kind experts.
Here is how we can go about it.
Thankfully we have a dedicated website or I’d rather say a community where you can take help from real people to identify a song.
The website, I am talking about is WatZatSong! The website has thousands of active users that could help you know the song. Here is the process:
- Record part of the lyrics if you remember them or hum the song and record it.
- Go to the WatZatSong website and click on “Post a Sample”
- Sign up for an account. The process is very simple and asks for basic information.
- Once sign-up is completed, log in to your account and upload the sample you have recorded.
- After the sample is uploaded, wait for some time till the users listen to it and answer.
- You will receive a notification when someone answers you. That’s all!